Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Remembering Datuk Seri

This is an email from a family friend .. on her memories of ki

An Extraordinary Man

I've lost my grandfather when I was 7 and my paternal grandfather a year later. Such young age did not permit me to have large recollection of memories of them. Not having both grandparents whilst growing was never an issue for me. Well, I guess you don't actually felt the lost when you never own it at first place.

I knew Ki initially from Wan's stories; he was full of praises and was so proud when he talked about his grandfather. Of course, I would only able to play a passive part; listening without being able to share my side of stories.

I finally met Ki in person when I went for Hari Raya celebration...it was Hari Raya Haji, and Tah was still alive at that time. I couldn't avoid myself from having at the back of my mind the impression that he would probably be a 'typical Dato' Seri'-probably because I watched too much Malay dramas portraying as such.

It soon faded as my friends and I entered the mansion (apt description of the house-very big with huge compound); we were warmly greeted by him. He welcomed us in and Tah ensured that we were treated accordingly, quickly sent Wan to the kitchen to prepare drinks for us. 'Abang' (probably the biggest cat I've ever seen) tagged along with Tah as she came out from the kitchen with food. Both of them entertained us as if we came by their invitation. The fact that one of my friend was from MCKK added an extra topic of conversation for Ki. The impression I had totally shattered, Ki was totally the opposite! In fact, Wan was being very humble in his praises!

From thereon, it led to string of pleasant experiences with Ki. Not much do I know about Tah thus less I can say about her, only that she is a good cook-(I tasted her pajeri ambra and it was simply awesome!).

As for Ki, I had the opportunity to know him better, especially after the family moved to Kampung Buaia. To me, he will always be remembered as a person with an impeccable character. Despite his age, he would find his way to contribute to the society, whether it is through his writing or his social work. This is evident by his selfless initiative of teaching english language to the 'budak-budak kampung'. Once I visited him, he just finished teaching. He told me-"Ki cakap pada budak-budak kampung ni, jangan segan jadi budak kampung. You have to be proud of who you are. Tah orang kampung, tapi dia boleh bercampur dengan macam-macam orang. Siti Nurhaliza pun budak kampung, tapi dia boleh berjaya" (later I learned that Ki is a big fan of Siti-well, that is beside the point).

He even went to the extent of organising 'functions' and 'entertainment' for the local community. The house was never without guest, off and on there would be kampung folks visiting. Whenever there is a function, Ki would be very busy directing to ensure that everything was in its proper manner and his guests were well treated. He would repeatedly ask his guests-"Dah makan ke belum? Makan le, ambik apa yang ada". He had the remarkable ability of making his guests felt at ease, comfortable and at home, and I guess that is one apparent reason why his guests repeated their visits.

And he is a person full of jest! He would at times tease me, asking “Ni anak siapa ni?” or “Mana datang budak ni?” with a smirk on his face! Once I was making myself useful by sweeping the floor as at that time, there was a Rotary function preparation ongoing, when he came to me; in jest said “Ki tak de duit nak bayor Indonesia ni” I jokingly replied, “Mahal nak bayor ni Ki, ada degree ni.” To that, he laughed.

Another common topic for me and Ki was about my work since he knew Mr Tang (my boss), whom Ki referred as Khai Kit. He would advise me to work hard. He told me he was among the founder of POWA, a Rotary award appreciating the Rotarian’s staff for their assistance.

The joys were however short lived.

Ki then gradually became very sick, he would be in and out of the hospital and this limits his social work, which later crept to limit his movement. Ateh would be his 'walking stick' most of the time. Nonetheless, he couldn't help himself not to entertain his visitors even at the hospital. He was lying on the hospital bed but he instead he asked me how I am! He was a very caring person indeed.

When the doctor examined his heart condition, he was very calm whereas I was quite restless; I pitied him for having to undergo such procedure in his late age. He told others that I was very brave to accompany him in the examining room where in actual fact he was the brave one! He fought his sickness with great will power.

He was admitted in ICU and with great determination passed through the terrifying stage and later was discharged from the hospital.

Months later his health condition escalated and he was again in Hospital Pantai Puteri. After he was discharged, he managed to take a short trip to KL and upon returning, he was once again admitted to Ipoh General Hospital. Ki passed away on the hospital bed as a great fighter...

6.00 p.m 1st July- I went to visit Ki at the Ipoh General Hospital. Opah Chu and Rais, Ateh and Ijan were there when I arrived. Ki was sleeping most of the time, though he constantly turned himself. He sipped some yogurt drinks, and he slept again. Ateh later informed me he slept most of the times that day and had no appetite. He ate the kanji sum-sum Opah Chu prepared for him and nothing else.

2nd July- I wished Wan Yong, it was her birthday. Wan Yong reply was “Thx 4 yr thought. Ki pagi ni msuk CCU.”
2.35 a.m 3rd July-I received phone call from Wan. When he told "Ki dah tak ada," I was partially awake. The message took sometimes to sink in. "Innalillahi wainna ilaihi rajiun", I finally said and consoled him. I can't sleep after that.

7.30 a.m- I made the first journey to Kampung Buaia without Ki to greet me. The longest journey I ever had.

8.15 a.m- As I arrived at Kampung Buaia, I saw Auntie (Wan Chik) at the compund. She cried when we hugged, needless to say a word. I consoled her and later approached in where Ateh hugged me in tears and said-'Lily thank you so much'. I then sat near Ki's body-he looked as if he was sleeping, only pale and I recited Yassin for him. Nearing to the end of my recital, I realised that this is the first Yassin I recited for him. He would not be able to tease, joke or give me advise anymore. After the Yassin, I stormed out where I cried my heart out.

Ki was like a grandfather I never had. And I finally understand the feeling of losing a grandfather. And for the family of an extraordinary man, Dato' Seri Yang Rashdi, many thanks for allowing me 'menumpang datuk.' I really appreciated it.

Lily

3 comments:

Ygrazlan said...

I have not tasted the pajeri ambra but if from my late mother i believe you.
Thank you for the beautiful eulogy of Ki if i may say at that.Thank you.
Yang Lahn

cikpuan.shoegal said...

Lily's story moved me. I've so many sweet memories with Ki and Tah however...I am not a storyteller. Lily really write it beautifully from her heart

Sampagita said...

Ki was a natural with children. Not only with his own but with his neices and nephews, their children.

One day, I saw a small girl about the age of 4 or 5 sitting next to him at the dining table. Her chin was hardly the level of the table.

They were having tea. True to Ki's upbringing, even teatime was with pomp. Tables set with the approriate crockery to task. The small girl must have felt special. I could see that gleam in her eyes when treated like an adult.She was together with Ki for the tea rituals. Ki had taught her table etiquete.

What was really touching was to see this girl having a conversation with Ki.

This small girl had come on her own to Ki's house. She was a cousin 4 times removed.

Ki had taught this girl respect by respecting her.