Monday, July 7, 2008

Then & Now....ABOUT ME & MY BARBERS

(Extracted from IPOH ECHO Apr 16-30, 2008)
http://www.ipohecho.com.my/ (issue 48)

Dato' Seri Yang Rashdi sadly passed away on 3 July, 2008 - ALFATIHA
It was his wish to see this blog lived on long after he is gone...

This morning I went to have a haircut in town. My grand-daughter Ijan is coming back from KL and she complains when my hair is unkempt and not properly trimmed. Day after tomorrow there will be an important event at Villa Indera. Somebody is getting married. We have not had a wedding in the family since 2005. But that is another story.

Today, I am preoccupied with memories of trips to the barber shop. My father had been pretty strict about haircuts himself. He made a point of supervising this regular cutting and trimming himself.

It was quite an outing, us packed like sardines in the small - we called it a "baby car" - Austin 7 (PK 2037). I had an older brother, two younger brothers and there were our two sisters, the last two additions in the family. Being "special" they always sat in front, beside our father who drove. Our mother, Akidah had died when the girls were mere toddlers. I am talking of a time in the 1920s.

GREAT FUN
We enjoyed getting our hair trimed except for Tum, the youngest. She would cover her face with her arms and needed much cajoling from both our dad and the Indian barber.

It was the protocol of the day that my older brother and I should be last in the haircutting queue. This gave us sufficient time to kill and be entertained. The barber's shop was one of six or seven little establishments - they were no more than shacks - at kedai bawah Gunung Pondok just at the foot of, yes, Gunung Pondok. Pekan Gunung Pondok was then a tiny, thriving world. People going to Kampong Lalang, Setor, Sungai Ati and Paya Ranggam and beyond to Laneh passed through these little village-shacks where they could buy local cooked food and vegetables. And, if they wished or needed one, they could drop and have their trim in the shop where two Indian barbers worked.

A few yards away going into Pekan Padang Rengas, about a quarter of a mile away from the row of shops, was a railway gate that was closed whenever a train - a passenger mail train or goods train - would chug its way up north through the famed Bukit Berapit tunnels.

MY TURN
Waiting for my turn at the barber's, I was intrigued to watch the hugh locomotive-engines chugging away, white steam or smoke spiralling up and over their funnels. In those days, Padang Rengas Railway Station was a must for all trains going up north or south. The locos sometimes needed power to push them up Bukit Berapit or required "controlling" any long line of the mail or the good trains sliding down the rails from the hill after a very heavy downpour. This happened a few times.

Suffice to say I was never impatient while I waited to be called to have my hair cut. The barber shop of my childhood was quite cosy. It had only two hair-dressing chairs and when the kids came, a plank of wood was placed over the "arms" for them to sit on. Sometimes, I would doze off in the barber's chair. It was so pleasant having my face massaged. But there are occassions I would suddenly sit up with a jolt, thinking the barber might, out of the blue, lose his mind and cut off my ears or nose! This phobia remains with me to this day.

We had a different type of "air-conditioning" then. We had punkahs - a broad cloth attached to a frame with a cord operated manually by a man-servant called a punkawallah. It worked for many of us. In fact, it made one so drowsy. Later, a radio was added to the set-up and it naturally played Tamil songs!

TIME PASSES
In the 1960s, I worked in the big city's State Secretariat and found myself a barber that suited me. His shop was on a river bank, behind the Secretariat building. There was nothing posh about the establishment but it was tidy and everything was in order. The Indian music was perpetually on! This barber shop introduced me to Bay Rum, a hair tonic that was very popular in those days. It was French. Your head was massaged using this tonic; sometimes it was rubbed gently all over your face. It could last on you for as long as three weeks!. I paid the princely sum of between $1.50 and $2.00 each time I visited that river bank barber. An extra 50 cent was levied for a shave if you needed one and for the Bay Rum rub. It was cukup berbaloi sekali.

Later, when I was in the State capital, I frequented a barber shop known as the 'Hollywood Hair Dressing Saloon'. It reminded me a lot of the shop in the Federal capital years earlier. This Hollywood Hair Saloon was manned by two or three nearly middle-aged barbers. They were very experienced, very gentle and very courteous. When they saw me coming up, one of them would wait for me at the door and usher me gently into a seat. The Hollywood Hair Saloon also had its brand of 'in-house' hair tonic. It was not as potent as the genuine Bay Rum - its fragrance would last only a week - but satisfying enough.

RECENT BOUTS
A few years ago, I tried two different barbers in our small pekan. My visit to the Chinese one was never repeated. His shaving razor was blunt; it hurt! The Indian entrepreneur was OK professionally in the beginning but he developed the tendency to push my head about; also, he enjoyed chatting loudly (and endlessly) with a friend who was loittering about or talking to his wife who was in the kitchen.

More recently, I made a rewarding discovery when I visited Romeo Tukang Gunting in town. It was run by two youths from India both of whom confessed to me that they graduated from a Barbers' Academy to earn a Barber's Certificate!

I recall having a good look at the row of half-sized bottles arranged neatly below the big mirror in front of me. They contained a bright pink liquid very much like the colour of Bay Rum. I requested a splash. I was told by the barber that it was not Bay Rum - he quoted something about it in Indian! He had not heard of the long lasting fragrance. The hair-cut and the splash of liquid that was non-Bay Rum cost only RM7.00!

This brings me to my last memory of barbers and their shops. During the transition period called interregnum (the time immediately following the surrender of the Japanese and the period of the British Civilian Adminstration), I was, of course, jobless. One fine day my father handed me a box containing a set of hair-clipper, a razor blade knife and other paraphernalia a barber needs. He said, "Rashdi, while you are waiting for a job - and it may take time for the country to settle down for you to find one - why don't you learn to be a barber? There's money in it! Everybody needs a haircut. People have to see you sometime!".

My father meant well but I just could not understand how he'd want me to be a barber - why, I'd attended a very well-established and well-known institution in the whole country!. I was young and proud. At that time there were only two Malay barbers in the village-town. I would not mention their names here but in time the two would be remembered as the nucleus of the famous or as the infamous API Movement, forerunning of our modern Youth Movements!.

DATO' SERI YANG RASHDI BIN MAASOM
Termaktub di Villa PiJ Indera
Kampong Buiai, Padang Rengas



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam to all,

I am deeply sorry to note that Datuk Seri Yang Rashdi Ma'asom had passed away some 2 years ago as I was thinking I was writing to him few days ago..

This is the copy of my confession that I felt it should be disseminated around so as to expose wrong doing being done mostly by hidden camouflage person especially with good outlook features.

Most of us the Malays, I believe would normally like to ‘sweep under the rug’ as to safeguard their status of being known related to the culprit.

At this point, I would like to apologize for those who would be affected by my confession as I have no intentions to caused inconvenience to anyone, only to my believe that what I am doing only act as a deterrent for ( potential ) womanizer to remember that they should be held accountable for horrible harassment done.

Dear Noraizan,

From your father’s history I have read, I am proud of your late father achievement and his services to the rural community.

However, my intention of writing these words is to tell about your brother 'Ridzuan Bin Yang' that he is no ordinary person.

He might looked sweet and harmless but to me he is a 'ruthless hearted ' creature which I believe he wound deserve to be alive after all in the first place.

Why, ask him, as what he had done to a girl namely, Ida some 15 over years ago. What have you, an infant killer, womanizer or even a cunning predator.

I am deeply sorry to say such words to your brother but I had been enduring continuous pain every moment of time right from the very first times he takes advantage of me.

In God’s name, I am virgin before that incident and since he said he is still single at the time I was hopeful we could get married after that.

Thing gets bad to worst after confirming that I had conceived 2-month womb and I really beg and beg and beg him at least marry me even for a short while just to give life to this human being inside me.

What do I get, I have been accused to lay traps to marry him and asked to make abortion asap.

Cont.

Anonymous said...

Nor,

Not even a simple word like I am sorry being uttered. I did the abortion under Ridzuan’s directive and at the time he was on vacation in switzerland with his wife (dont know whether it is true or not) and he keeps on making calls to my handset every night to make sure I make the abortion before he comes back to Malaysia.

With such a horrible pain that I have to suffered, I did maintain another year of relationship with him hoping that he would take some responsibility by marrying me and divorce after that so I would have the divorcee status

Nor,

Truly, my life had been destroyed by ‘Ridzuan Bin Yang’. He made me his private concubine almost another year by just satisfying his sex needs. Every day at that time, I keep on praying to Allah that one day he could somehow rectify for what had happen but the more I waited I noticed he had no intention at all of marrying me.

Really, in the first place, I would not want to take someone husband or destroy ‘a masjid’ being built, by year 1996 I have make a strearn decision by marrying my long time boyfriend which I am very much regretted of not marrying him earlier.

One day, Ridzuan call me and as usual with a sweet voice, he laugh and laugh after I’ve told him that I am married and please don’t try to even see me again..

Nor,

Believe me, the trauma inhibits every parts of me, my health deteriorate for the worst, most of the time after that I am being bed ridden for more than 4 years.

Until now Nor, I could not conceive any off springs, thanks to your brother. It's now that I have some strength and courage to voice out publicly after having expert advice and with my husband support to stand and fight with every strength left in me..

As from the legal stand point I believe I am quite ready enough to faced any circumstances ahead, InsyaAllah..

I intend to voice out publicly either in mass media or any NGOs seminars to exposed this 'horrific modus of operandi' in hoping that it would be off some benefits to others especially young women..

Dt, please lodge into my blog i.e. ridzuanyang.blogspot.com and I can be contacted at HP 0133122080 or email 'ida_daddy@yahoo.co.uk'

Oh God, I seek your blessing and strength for me to pursue my ‘Jihad’ for I do earnestly repent and seek forgiveness from thee.. InsyaAllah

Regards
Ida

Ends

Anonymous said...

2nd page

Nor,

Not even a simple word like I am sorry being uttered. I did the abortion under Ridzuan’s directive and at the time he was on vacation in switzerland with his wife (dont know whether it is true or not) and he keeps on making calls to my handset every night to make sure I make the abortion before he comes back to Malaysia.

With such a horrible pain that I have to suffered, I did maintain another year of relationship with him hoping that he would take some responsibility by marrying me and divorce after that so I would have the divorcee status

Nor,

Truly, my life had been destroyed by ‘Ridzuan Bin Yang’. He made me his private concubine almost another year by just satisfying his sex needs. Every day at that time, I keep on praying to Allah that one day he could somehow rectify for what had happen but the more I waited I noticed he had no intention at all of marrying me.

Really, in the first place, I would not want to take someone husband or destroy ‘a masjid’ being built, by year 1996 I have make a strearn decision by marrying my long time boyfriend which I am very much regretted of not marrying him earlier.

One day, Ridzuan call me and as usual with a sweet voice, he laugh and laugh after I’ve told him that I am married and please don’t try to even see me again..

Nor,

Believe me, the trauma inhibits every parts of me, my health deteriorate for the worst, most of the time after that I am being bed ridden for more than 4 years.

Until now Nor, I could not conceive any off springs, thanks to your brother. It's now that I have some strength and courage to voice out publicly after having expert advice and with my husband support to stand and fight with every strength left in me..

As from the legal stand point I believe I am quite ready enough to faced any circumstances ahead, InsyaAllah..

I intend to voice out publicly either in mass media or any NGOs seminars to exposed this 'horrific modus of operandi' in hoping that it would be off some benefits to others especially young women..

Dt, please lodge into my blog i.e. ridzuanyang.blogspot.com and I can be contacted at HP 0133122080 or email 'ida_daddy@yahoo.co.uk'

Oh God, I seek your blessing and strength for me to pursue my ‘Jihad’ for I do earnestly repent and seek forgiveness from thee.. InsyaAllah

Regards
Ida

Noor Aizan said...

Dear Readers,

Please ignore comments from Ida. There has been some misunderstanding. She has got the wrong person. There is no Ridzuan bin Yang in our family. Ida has written a Disclaimer.

Ida said...

Salam ,

I, Ida Kamel aka Ida Samad would like to seek forgiveness from the family of Dato' Seri Yang Rashdi as to mistakenly quote Ridzuan Bin Yang to be one of Dato' son.

I have found out recently, Ridzuan Bin Yang has no relationship whatsoever with the family.

As such,neither the remarks I made nor the blog 'ridzuanyang.blogspot.com' has nothing to do with Dato's family tree.

Once again I am deeply sorry about the misunderstanding from my part and inconveniences arise from my comments.

I am proud of Dato's achievement and legacy and I wish the very best for the entire family and be blessed by God and remain glorious.. InsyaAllah.

Ida